Saturday 17 September 2011

Teaching Journal #4: I don't quit writing the journal (ever)!

It's been a while after my last entry. I'm not quitting the journal. The reason of the short break is I was looking for a better format. Something practical to write and read, regularly updated, and in bite size. The new concept is slightly different to the current. Let's see what I can come up with on Monday (19 September).

This week onward, I teach 10 graders, more students, more demanding. It costs me freedom. I have less freedom, in terms of time, than I used to. I had spent my time teaching at the language lab before where classes are more relaxed and manageable. That's why, I need to make some adjustments.

Anyway, following are learning points I have collected this week.

  • “You can't please everyone. You can always find those cynical to what you are doing.”
    I could heard some students saying 'Ngapain sih. Gak jelas!' commenting on my game of combining sentences using while/when. I was about to give up and leave the class right away.
  • “Your students are much smarter than what you think they were.”
  • “Different class, different characteristics and thus requiring different treatments.”
    One of five classes I teach has negative reputation of being non cooperative and difficult to handle. However, I sense beyond that, there are two 'Gangs' in the class. They seem to not like each other. It might be the core of the problem.
  • “Teaching grammar is not teaching the right and the wrong, but telling them what is possible.”
  • “I need to refine and put my English skills into a new level.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Stop changing your blog's domain!
2) So what did you do to the gangs? Did you manage to control them or something like that?
3) “Teaching grammar is not teaching the right and the wrong, but telling them what is possible.” - Love this one! Although I think I would need some time to comprehend how realistic this is...
4) Great post! Nice to know your updates!

tulis.tulis said...

Changed it once. This the very good domain.